Films by Female Directors We Will be Watching in 2018

While the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has managed to deny female directors from the Golden Globes nominations – and this is at the time when the struggle for gender equality has reached a very special level – they do not give up and continue to make great films. Here is our selection of female-directed films that you should not miss this year.

ladybird

Lady Bird

Out in February 2018

This Comedy drama by Greta Gerwig was shown last September, with Gerwig winning a Golden Globe for best comedy of the year. Another prestigious award went to leading actress, Saoirse Ronan. What happened to her heroine who went to conquer New York? And why the Golden Globe jury drew attention to the work of the director, you can judge for yourself this February.

film

Wrinkle in Time

Available on Netflix from 8th March

It seems that a new generation of Disney princess has arrived: the heroine of the new studio film Wrinkle in Time is a 13-year-old called Meg Murry. She is interested in astrophysical terminology, and is determined to find her missing father-scientist even if the search involves traveling through dimensions. Her companions are Reese Witherspoon and Oprah Winfrey with Chris Pine playing the handsome dad himself. The premiere of this creation by Ava Duvernay about this very courageous girl is set for release on 8th of March.

film

Mary Queen of Scots

Out in late 2018

The public has always adored films about famous rulers, and we are sure that this creation by young director, Josie Rourke will not be an exception. She has been working on Mary Queen of Scots together with Saoirse Ronan (playing Maria Stewart) and Margot Robbie (Elizabeth I). This maiden trio is clearly preparing our new favorite film about the opposition of two women fighting for the English throne. It is a pity that we have to wait for the premiere for almost a year, for now the release date is set for November.

film

The Darkest Minds

Out in September 2018

Directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson, who shot the second and third part of the cartoon Kung Fu Panda, is set to make a movie for a slightly older audience. She is now determined to bring to the big screen a sci-fi thriller by American author Alexandra Bracken. The plot sounds intriguing: 98 percent of all American children are dying because of a serious disease, however the remaining 2 percent receive super-powers that are forcing them to unite in special camps. Ruby, the main character performed by 19-year-old Amandla Stenberg comes to this camp and that’s how it all begins. On set, the actress is joined by the star of Games of Thrones, Star Wars and The Hunger Games, Gwendoline Christie and famous for her roles in Grey’s Anatomy, and Scrubs, Mandy Moore. You will be able to enjoy the film in September this year.

script

Which one are you looking forward to the most?_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Text: Irina Gorskaia

Images: Entertainment, Empire Online, NME

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018 Irina Gorskaia

Related Articles

Leave a Reply