The headquarters of the fashion house Saint Laurent moved to a new building on Rue de Bellechasse in Paris. The move set the return of the brand to its roots – previously the main building was located on the right bank of the Seine.
House 37-39 on Rue de Bellechasse dates back to 1671 when it was founded as the Abbaye de Penthemont convent. In the 18th century, the building was rebuilt and used by the Ministry of the Armed Forces of France. The new headquarters of Saint Laurent were under reconstruction over the last three years. It was finally ready for the opening last year and became the main set for the brand’s shows under the direction of Anthony Vaccarello.
Saint Laurent was due to share the building with a Marriott hotel, though it eventually secured the exclusive use of the premises. The brand declined to confirm the final size of the headquarters, initially billed as 3,000 square meters or 32,300 square feet.
“All renovations have been made respecting the historical heritage of the place. They also follow strict environmental guidelines, obtaining in the process a double certification for sustainability,” it said in a statement.
Last autumn Saint Laurent launched its own art project, Self, for which the French fashion house collaborates with contemporary artists, photographers, and directors. The selection of its participants was a responsibility of the creative director of the brand, of course. The name of the project is inspired by the Saint Laurent logo (which also has the letters s and l) and indicates the brand’s attention to individuality.
The Japanese photographer Daido Moriyama, famous for his slightly defocused contrast shots and his love for compact cameras, was the first to be invited to collaborate with the fashion house.
Saint Laurent also has separate couture salons and Parisian ateliers at the Hôtel de Sénecterre, a 17th-century Parisian townhouse located at 24 Rue de l’Université.
RELATED: Saint Laurent SS19: Walking on water
Text: Irina Gorskaia
Images: Saint Laurent